What is involved in Strategic HR
Find out what the related areas are that Strategic HR connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Strategic HR thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Strategic HR journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Strategic HR leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Strategic HR related domains to cover and 140 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Strategic HR, Strategic human resource planning, BambooHR, Behavioural sciences, Best practice, Collaboration, Competency-based management, Contingency theory, Facebook, Gap analysis, Google+, Human resource management system, Human resources, Institutional theory, LinkedIn, Management information system, Organization development, Organizational culture, Organizational theory, Recruitment, Resource dependency theory, Restructuring, Social media, Strategic sourcing, Training and development:
Strategic HR Critical Criteria:
Derive from Strategic HR strategies and look at the big picture.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Strategic HR project?
– What business benefits will Strategic HR goals deliver if achieved?
– What are specific Strategic HR Rules to follow?
Strategic human resource planning Critical Criteria:
Face Strategic human resource planning quality and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Strategic human resource planning services.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Strategic HR been identified and analyzed?
– How can skill-level changes improve Strategic HR?
– How do we go about Securing Strategic HR?
BambooHR Critical Criteria:
Survey BambooHR projects and devise BambooHR key steps.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Strategic HR strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Think of your Strategic HR project. what are the main functions?
– How do we Identify specific Strategic HR investment and emerging trends?
Behavioural sciences Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Behavioural sciences quality and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Behavioural sciences information.
– Think about the people you identified for your Strategic HR project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Does Strategic HR analysis show the relationships among important Strategic HR factors?
– What threat is Strategic HR addressing?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Best practice strategies and correct Best practice management by competencies.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– Are we proactively using the most effective means, the best practices and maximizing our opportunities?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Strategic HR ?
– What are some best practices for implementing an air gap in a our setting?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– What are the best practices for implementing an internal site search?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Collaboration Critical Criteria:
Mix Collaboration risks and pay attention to the small things.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Strategic HR in a volatile global economy?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Strategic HR project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Strategic HR project lifecycle?
– The Product Owner and the Team collaborate to do the best for the business. Each collaboration results in an improved ROI. But how much of an improvement?
– What kind of governance model is needed to enhance the collaboration of commercial and technical product portfolio owners over life cycle?
– How does our CRM collaboration software integrate well with Google services like Google Apps and Google Docs?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Strategic HR delivery for example is new software needed?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Strategic HR values?
– What would be needed to support collaboration on data sharing across economic sectors?
– What would be needed to support collaboration on data sharing in your sector?
– Are there other statutes that encourage collaboration?
– Challengers, collaborations or mandated policy?
Competency-based management Critical Criteria:
Think about Competency-based management management and adjust implementation of Competency-based management.
Contingency theory Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Contingency theory quality and separate what are the business goals Contingency theory is aiming to achieve.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Strategic HR study?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Strategic HR requirements in detail?
Facebook Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Facebook failures and integrate design thinking in Facebook innovation.
– Facebook: does using facebook for discussions in an online course enhance perceived social presence and student interaction?
– Does using Facebook for discussions in an online course enhance perceived social presence and student interaction?
– Why is it so hard to develop a mental model of facebooks information architecture?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Strategic HR that make it risky?
– Why are investors so optimistic about facebook?
Gap analysis Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Gap analysis issues and assess and formulate effective operational and Gap analysis strategies.
– To what extent does management recognize Strategic HR as a tool to increase the results?
– What are all of our Strategic HR domains and what do they do?
– How do we maintain Strategic HRs Integrity?
Google+ Critical Criteria:
Infer Google+ adoptions and attract Google+ skills.
– Is the Strategic HR organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Strategic HR project?
– Do we all define Strategic HR in the same way?
Human resource management system Critical Criteria:
Start Human resource management system quality and define what our big hairy audacious Human resource management system goal is.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Strategic HR process?
Human resources Critical Criteria:
Use past Human resources planning and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Human resources projects.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– Imagine you work in the Human Resources department of a company considering a policy to protect its data on employees mobile devices. in advising on this policy, what rights should be considered?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Should pay levels and differences reflect the earnings of colleagues in the country of the facility, or earnings at the company headquarters?
– How often do we hold meaningful conversations at the operating level among sales, finance, operations, IT, and human resources?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do we identify desired outcomes and key indicators (if not already existing) such as what metrics?
– What are the procedures for filing an internal complaint about the handling of personal data?
– What are strategies that we can undertake to reduce job fatigue and reduced productivity?
– Available personnel – what are the available Human Resources within the organization?
– How do financial reports support the various aspects of accountability?
– Can you think of other ways to reduce the costs of managing employees?
– Friendliness and professionalism of the Human Resources staff?
– How can we more efficiently on-board and off-board employees?
– When can an employee access and correct personal data?
– How is Staffs knowledge of procedures and regulations?
– How is the Content updated of the hr website?
– How do we engage the stakeholders?
– How to deal with diversity?
Institutional theory Critical Criteria:
Drive Institutional theory failures and pioneer acquisition of Institutional theory systems.
– Is Strategic HR Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How do we Improve Strategic HR service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is our Strategic HR Strategy?
LinkedIn Critical Criteria:
Investigate LinkedIn tasks and correct LinkedIn management by competencies.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Strategic HR product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How do we measure improved Strategic HR service perception, and satisfaction?
– Why is Strategic HR important for you now?
Management information system Critical Criteria:
Design Management information system decisions and plan concise Management information system education.
– For your Strategic HR project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Who will provide the final approval of Strategic HR deliverables?
Organization development Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Organization development decisions and learn.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Strategic HR objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Are there Strategic HR Models?
Organizational culture Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Organizational culture engagements and report on developing an effective Organizational culture strategy.
– What do we need to know, and how do we get the information required to answer this question, especially with regard to our organizational culture, technological roadmap, and where both organizations are moving in the long term?
– How is the way you as the leader think and process information affecting your organizational culture?
– Will the organizational culture support new values of the agile team?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Strategic HR?
– Does the Strategic HR task fit the clients priorities?
– Is a Strategic HR Team Work effort in place?
Organizational theory Critical Criteria:
Participate in Organizational theory goals and figure out ways to motivate other Organizational theory users.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Strategic HR goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Strategic HR agendas for the next 3 years?
– How can you measure Strategic HR in a systematic way?
Recruitment Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Recruitment outcomes and work towards be a leading Recruitment expert.
– The first thing you want to ask yourself when looking to purchase an ats is, what features does the ats need to have in order for our recruitment efforts to be successful?
– Do key members of your hr, recruitment, or management team regularly travel or work from outside of the office? If so, how will they access the ats?
– Has e-recruitment increased level of applicants and expanded geographically candidates locations?
– Who determines the it security staffing and recruitment strategy in your organization?
– Is maximizing Strategic HR protection the same as minimizing Strategic HR loss?
– How will e-recruitment/applicant tracking system improve recruitment process?
– Which recruitment channels give us the candidates with the right profile?
– What kind of feedback do you get for implementation of e-recruitment?
– What kind of changes do you see in future of hr and e-recruitment?
– What kind of e-recruitment program your company has implemented?
– Is e-recruitment economically beneficial for your company?
– Is recruitment of staff with strong data skills crucial?
– How is e-recruitment applied in your company?
– How do we keep improving Strategic HR?
Resource dependency theory Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Resource dependency theory results and work towards be a leading Resource dependency theory expert.
– What is the source of the strategies for Strategic HR strengthening and reform?
Restructuring Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Restructuring governance and define what our big hairy audacious Restructuring goal is.
– Will joining an exchange force restructuring?
Social media Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Social media projects and do something to it.
– When you use social media to complain about a Customer Service issue, how often do you feel you get an answer or your complaint is resolved by the company?
– Are business intelligence solutions starting to include social media data and analytics features?
– What methodology do you use for measuring the success of your social media programs for clients?
– How would our PR, marketing, and social media change if we did not use outside agencies?
– What is our approach to Risk Management in the specific area of social media?
– What is the best way to integrate social media into existing CRM strategies?
– How have you defined R.O.I. from a social media perspective in the past?
– Do you have any proprietary tools or products related to social media?
– How will social media change Category Management and retail?
– Do you offer social media training services for clients?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
Strategic sourcing Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Strategic sourcing governance and test out new things.
– In the case of a Strategic HR project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Strategic HR project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Strategic HR project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Strategic HR process?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Strategic HR processes of our organization?
Training and development Critical Criteria:
Look at Training and development projects and slay a dragon.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Strategic HR?
– What is Effective Strategic HR?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Strategic HR Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Strategic HR External links:
strategic HR, inc. Home – strategic HR, inc.
Strategic human resource planning External links:
Strategic human resource planning – YouTube
BambooHR External links:
BambooHR – Official Site
BambooHR (@bamboohr) | Twitter
BambooHR Marketplace | Your Favorite Integrated HR Apps
Behavioural sciences External links:
BEHAVIOURAL SCIENCES IN THE MEDICAL …
Best practice External links:
ALTA – Best Practices
What is best practice? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Best Practices – Independence Title
Competency-based management External links:
Competency-Based Management—An Integrated …
[PDF]Competency-Based Management—An Integrated …
Contingency theory External links:
Contingency Theory – Business Models | MBA Theories
[PPT]Contingency Theory – Ohio Northern University
Read this Business Essay and over 88,000 other research documents. Contingency Theory of Leadership. Contingency Theory of Leadership The …
Facebook External links:
Facebook – Log In or Sign Up
Donald J. Trump – Home | Facebook
Gap analysis External links:
4 Essentials to Mitigate Fallout From a Pay-Gap Analysis
5 Simple Steps On How To Do A Gap Analysis | Rob Kelly
Human resource management system External links:
Human Resource Management System – Washington
Human Resource Management System (HRMS) – Oracle
[PDF]Human Resource Management System
Human resources External links:
Human Resources Job Titles – The Balance
Title Human Resources HR Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Human Resources Job Titles-The Ultimate Guide | upstartHR
Management information system External links:
TAMIS – Total Ammunition Management Information System
Commissioned Corps Management Information System
Organization development External links:
The International Society For Organization Development …
What is Organization Development? – OD Network
National Center for Organization Development Home
Organizational culture External links:
OB Organizational Culture Flashcards | Quizlet
Organizational Culture – au.af.mil
What Is Organizational Culture? | CultureIQ
Organizational theory External links:
Organizational Theory & Behavior
Organizational Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
Principles of Organizational Theory | Chron.com
Recruitment External links:
UTEP Office of Admissions & Recruitment
Jobelephant | Recruitment Advertising Solved
Resource dependency theory External links:
Resource dependency theory Study Sets and Flashcards | …
Restructuring External links:
UW Colleges and UW-Extension Restructuring
Financial Restructuring Board for Local Governments
Restructuring Information – Cumulus Media
Strategic sourcing External links:
Purchasing & Strategic Sourcing – El Paso, Texas
Procurement & Strategic Sourcing – Wayne State University
What is strategic sourcing? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Training and development External links:
Employee Training and Development Policy – Workable
7 Training and Development – USPS
Training and Development | Department of Enterprise Services