What is involved in Internet of Things
Find out what the related areas are that Internet of Things connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Internet of Things thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Internet of Things journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Internet of Things leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Internet of Things related domains to cover and 168 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Internet of Things, Harvard Business Review, Home automation, Service-oriented architecture, Climate change, Defective by Design, Nest Labs, Distributed denial of service attack, Consumer privacy, Uniform resource identifier, Platform fragmentation, Embedded systems, Internet refrigerator, Development tool, Organizational architecture, Distributed application, Intelligent transportation system, Digital Twins, Embedded software, Bluetooth mesh networking, Power-line communication, Discipline and Punish, IEEE 802.15.4, Behavioral targeting, Open Mobile Alliance, Big data, Hypertext Transfer Protocol, Visible light communication, PubMed Central, Machine to machine, Organizational culture, PlayStation 3, Multimedia over Coax Alliance, Global surveillance disclosures, Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, Sustainable urban infrastructure, Web service, IEEE Computer Society, Near field communication, Water quality, Hacking of consumer electronics, Instant messaging, IP address, Software libraries, Statistical model, Federal Communications Commission, Fog computing, Electronic Product Code:
Internet of Things Critical Criteria:
Grade Internet of Things outcomes and research ways can we become the Internet of Things company that would put us out of business.
– What types of service platforms are required to deploy event driven applications and to make possible dynamic adaptation of service platforms or application to insertion of sensors with new classes of capabilities?
– Computational offloading in mobile edge computing has a couple of challenges: how to split an IoT application?
– Are there any provisions in place for auditing the recipients use of the information?
– Why will customers buy your product or service over the competition?
– Who should be involved in the definition of an iot ethical charter?
– Can we clarify what some of our real opportunities in iiot are?
– Can I live with the built-in capabilities of the IoT platforms?
– How can Arduino be used to explore the Internet of Things?
– What are the best examples of the Internet of things?
– What is the minimum acceptable level of reliability?
– How and when should changes be propagated and to which users?
– Which user group(s) will have access to the system?
– Which applications and services will be expected?
– What design choices were made to enhance privacy?
– How is the information transmitted or disclosed?
– How will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– Where does the network need to be in 3-5 years?
– Do certain types of agents dominate?
– Iot solutions: what is involved?
– Why Is IoT Important?
Harvard Business Review Critical Criteria:
Focus on Harvard Business Review engagements and look at the big picture.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Internet of Things project?
– Are we Assessing Internet of Things and Risk?
– How to Secure Internet of Things?
Home automation Critical Criteria:
Track Home automation visions and triple focus on important concepts of Home automation relationship management.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Internet of Things experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Does Internet of Things systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Does Internet of Things analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Service-oriented architecture Critical Criteria:
Focus on Service-oriented architecture results and oversee Service-oriented architecture management by competencies.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Internet of Things?
– Is Supporting Internet of Things documentation required?
– What about Internet of Things Analysis of results?
Climate change Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Climate change engagements and look in other fields.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Internet of Things in a volatile global economy?
– What are the disruptive Internet of Things technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Are accountability and ownership for Internet of Things clearly defined?
Defective by Design Critical Criteria:
Boost Defective by Design strategies and explore and align the progress in Defective by Design.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Internet of Things project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Internet of Things move?
– How do we keep improving Internet of Things?
Nest Labs Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Nest Labs leadership and explain and analyze the challenges of Nest Labs.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Internet of Things project?
– What is the source of the strategies for Internet of Things strengthening and reform?
– Why are Internet of Things skills important?
Distributed denial of service attack Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Distributed denial of service attack goals and figure out ways to motivate other Distributed denial of service attack users.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Internet of Things? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Internet of Things?
Consumer privacy Critical Criteria:
Think about Consumer privacy engagements and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Consumer privacy information.
– Think about the people you identified for your Internet of Things project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Internet of Things project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Internet of Things project lifecycle?
– Is the scope of Internet of Things defined?
Uniform resource identifier Critical Criteria:
Scan Uniform resource identifier results and assess and formulate effective operational and Uniform resource identifier strategies.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Internet of Things is underway?
– Have you identified your Internet of Things key performance indicators?
– What is Effective Internet of Things?
Platform fragmentation Critical Criteria:
Depict Platform fragmentation failures and point out improvements in Platform fragmentation.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Internet of Things project manager?
– To what extent does management recognize Internet of Things as a tool to increase the results?
Embedded systems Critical Criteria:
Consult on Embedded systems risks and look at the big picture.
– Among the Internet of Things product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– When a Internet of Things manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How do we Improve Internet of Things service perception, and satisfaction?
Internet refrigerator Critical Criteria:
Chart Internet refrigerator tasks and ask questions.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Internet of Things product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Do Internet of Things rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Development tool Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Development tool management and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Development tool.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Internet of Things?
– What are the best rapid development tools regardless of cost for creating online course content?
– What are all of our Internet of Things domains and what do they do?
– Does Internet of Things appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Organizational architecture Critical Criteria:
Depict Organizational architecture goals and get going.
– How to deal with Internet of Things Changes?
Distributed application Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Distributed application risks and figure out ways to motivate other Distributed application users.
– Consider your own Internet of Things project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What is our formula for success in Internet of Things ?
Intelligent transportation system Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Intelligent transportation system results and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Intelligent transportation system projects.
– What are the key elements of your Internet of Things performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Internet of Things process?
– How is the value delivered by Internet of Things being measured?
Digital Twins Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Digital Twins leadership and ask questions.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Internet of Things workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How important is Internet of Things to the user organizations mission?
Embedded software Critical Criteria:
Sort Embedded software leadership and forecast involvement of future Embedded software projects in development.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Internet of Things strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Internet of Things ?
Bluetooth mesh networking Critical Criteria:
Unify Bluetooth mesh networking strategies and secure Bluetooth mesh networking creativity.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Internet of Things strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How do we Identify specific Internet of Things investment and emerging trends?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Internet of Things Management?
Power-line communication Critical Criteria:
Review Power-line communication decisions and balance specific methods for improving Power-line communication results.
– Is there a Internet of Things Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Can we do Internet of Things without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are specific Internet of Things Rules to follow?
Discipline and Punish Critical Criteria:
Generalize Discipline and Punish failures and create Discipline and Punish explanations for all managers.
– How do we know that any Internet of Things analysis is complete and comprehensive?
IEEE 802.15.4 Critical Criteria:
Unify IEEE 802.15.4 quality and slay a dragon.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Internet of Things process?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Internet of Things values?
– What are the barriers to increased Internet of Things production?
Behavioral targeting Critical Criteria:
Adapt Behavioral targeting governance and report on the economics of relationships managing Behavioral targeting and constraints.
– How can you measure Internet of Things in a systematic way?
– How do we maintain Internet of Thingss Integrity?
Open Mobile Alliance Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Open Mobile Alliance results and sort Open Mobile Alliance activities.
– Can we add value to the current Internet of Things decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Is the Internet of Things organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Big data Critical Criteria:
See the value of Big data visions and find the essential reading for Big data researchers.
– From all data collected by your organization, what is approximately the share of external data (collected from external sources), compared to internal data (produced by your operations)?
– How will systems and methods evolve to remove Big Data solution weaknesses?
– What if the needle in the haystack happens to be a complex data structure?
– What new Security and Privacy challenge arise from new Big Data solutions?
– Should we be required to inform individuals when we use their data?
– What (additional) data do these algorithms need to be effective?
– Do you see a need to share data processing facilities?
– How do we measure the efficiency of these algorithms?
– How do you handle Big Data in Analytic Applications?
– What are our tools for big data analytics?
– What metrics do we use to assess the results?
– What load balancing technique should we use?
– Overall cost (matrix, weighting, SVD, sims)?
– Wait, DevOps does not apply to Big Data?
– What business challenges did you face?
– Why are we collecting all this data?
– what is Different about Big Data?
– Does Big Data Really Need HPC?
– How to use in practice?
– What are we missing?
Hypertext Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Debate over Hypertext Transfer Protocol leadership and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Hypertext Transfer Protocol projects.
Visible light communication Critical Criteria:
Chart Visible light communication risks and achieve a single Visible light communication view and bringing data together.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Internet of Things goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
PubMed Central Critical Criteria:
Interpolate PubMed Central results and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Which customers cant participate in our Internet of Things domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Is Internet of Things Required?
Machine to machine Critical Criteria:
Participate in Machine to machine adoptions and oversee Machine to machine requirements.
– Do the Internet of Things decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How can the value of Internet of Things be defined?
Organizational culture Critical Criteria:
Learn from Organizational culture results and define what our big hairy audacious Organizational culture goal is.
– What do we need to know, and how do we get the information required to answer this question, especially with regard to our organizational culture, technological roadmap, and where both organizations are moving in the long term?
– Does Internet of Things analysis show the relationships among important Internet of Things factors?
– How is the way you as the leader think and process information affecting your organizational culture?
– Will the organizational culture support new values of the agile team?
PlayStation 3 Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap PlayStation 3 tasks and proactively manage PlayStation 3 risks.
– Is there any existing Internet of Things governance structure?
Multimedia over Coax Alliance Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Multimedia over Coax Alliance governance and integrate design thinking in Multimedia over Coax Alliance innovation.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Internet of Things?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Internet of Things been identified and analyzed?
Global surveillance disclosures Critical Criteria:
Shape Global surveillance disclosures tasks and report on the economics of relationships managing Global surveillance disclosures and constraints.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Internet of Things strengthening and reform actually originate?
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Critical Criteria:
Design Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act planning and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act results.
– How do we Lead with Internet of Things in Mind?
– Do we have past Internet of Things Successes?
Sustainable urban infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Sustainable urban infrastructure visions and document what potential Sustainable urban infrastructure megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Internet of Things does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are the usability implications of Internet of Things actions?
Web service Critical Criteria:
Guard Web service goals and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Web service results.
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– How does this standard provide users the ability to access applications and services through web services?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– Amazon web services is which type of cloud computing distribution model?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Internet of Things?
– Which Internet of Things goals are the most important?
IEEE Computer Society Critical Criteria:
Mix IEEE Computer Society goals and explore and align the progress in IEEE Computer Society.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Internet of Things information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
Near field communication Critical Criteria:
Understand Near field communication projects and attract Near field communication skills.
Water quality Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Water quality outcomes and triple focus on important concepts of Water quality relationship management.
Hacking of consumer electronics Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Hacking of consumer electronics quality and stake your claim.
Instant messaging Critical Criteria:
Sort Instant messaging visions and report on the economics of relationships managing Instant messaging and constraints.
– Are you looking for a vendor to provide instant messaging built into the solution so users of the system can instant message each other?
– What are current Internet of Things Paradigms?
IP address Critical Criteria:
Gauge IP address quality and plan concise IP address education.
– Can a customer prevent us from collecting his/her personal data? For example by saying he/she does not want his/her phone number or IP address to be stored by us?
– Are a customers business phone number; business email address and business IP address also considered to be personal data?
– Are egress and ingress filters installed on all border routers to prevent impersonation with spoofed ip addresses?
– Is the firewall configured to translate (hide) internal ip addresses, using network address translation (nat)?
– Does Internet of Things create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is collecting IP address really necessary?
Software libraries Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Software libraries visions and figure out ways to motivate other Software libraries users.
– Why is Internet of Things important for you now?
Statistical model Critical Criteria:
Participate in Statistical model tasks and tour deciding if Statistical model progress is made.
– Are there Internet of Things problems defined?
Federal Communications Commission Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Federal Communications Commission issues and track iterative Federal Communications Commission results.
Fog computing Critical Criteria:
Infer Fog computing failures and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Fog Computing is internet computing where the devices responsible for the computing surround us. Instead of having a data center where all of the processing and storage occurs, fog computing would allow us to bring the devices closer to us and these devices would be responsible for their own processing and storage. So how does this concept help us deal with the problems created by the IoT, and what benefits would this provide us that upgrading the cloud infrastructure couldnt?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Internet of Things project?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Internet of Things requirements in detail?
– Fog computing : will it be the future of cloud computing ?
Electronic Product Code Critical Criteria:
Sort Electronic Product Code governance and find answers.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Internet of Things Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Internet of Things External links:
Internet of Things ETF
Internet of Things Examples and Customer Stories | Microsoft
Harvard Business Review External links:
Harvard Business Review – Home | Facebook
Harvard Business Review Subscription – Magazine …
Home automation External links:
Smart Home Automation – The Home Depot
Vivint Support: Home Automation, Home Security and …
Service-oriented architecture External links:
Microservices vs. Service-Oriented Architecture – NGINX
Understanding Service-Oriented Architecture
Service-Oriented Architecture | Coursera
Climate change External links:
Climate Change | HuffPost
Defective by Design External links:
Guide to DRM-Free Living | Defective by Design
Defective by Design | Know Your Meme
Defective by Design (@endDRM) | Twitter
Nest Labs External links:
Nest Labs – Ferguson
17 reviews of Nest Labs “A simple e-mail to corporate fixed the problem completely.”
Nest Labs | Crunchbase
Consumer privacy External links:
Consumer Privacy Pledge | Privacy Policies | U.S. Bank
Consumer Privacy Notice | Plenti
U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice from Bank of America
Uniform resource identifier External links:
Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Schemes
What is URI (Uniform Resource Identifier)? – Computer Hope
Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) list – 3GPP
Platform fragmentation External links:
Mobile Platform Fragmentation – What it is and how we …
Embedded systems External links:
Embedded Systems Overview – Tutorials Point
Single Board Computers for X86 & ARM Embedded Systems
Curtiss-Wright Defense Solutions | Rugged Embedded Systems
Internet refrigerator External links:
[PDF]Internet Refrigerator A typical Internet of Things (IoT)
Development tool External links:
Drug Development Tool Programs and Initiatives
Linx – Low-code Application Development Tool
Organizational architecture External links:
What Is Organizational Architecture? – Learn.org
Organizational Architecture – Home | Facebook
People – Organizational Architecture
Distributed application External links:
Distributed application services (Book, 1993) …
CiteSeerX — Distributed Application Configuration
Intelligent transportation system External links:
[PDF]Intelligent Transportation System/Positive Train …
[PDF]INTELLIGENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM (ITS) …
[PDF]Intelligent Transportation System Strategic Plan …
Digital Twins External links:
The Rise of Digital Twins | GE Digital
Embedded software External links:
[PDF]Embedded Software – State of California
Embedded Software Engineer | SpaceX
Embedded Software Engineer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Bluetooth mesh networking External links:
concept – Bluetooth Mesh networking – Stack Overflow
Introducing Bluetooth Mesh Networking – YouTube
Power-line communication External links:
[PDF]DC Power-Line Communication Reference Design
Discipline and Punish External links:
SparkNotes: Discipline and Punish: The Body of the …
Discipline and Punish Quotes by Michel Foucault – Goodreads
Michel Foucault, Discipline and Punish – YouTube
IEEE 802.15.4 External links:
[PDF]Design and Implementation of IEEE 802.15.4 Mac …
[PDF]IEEE 802.15.4 and Zigbee – University of Kentucky
Behavioral targeting External links:
What is Behavioral Targeting? – Define Behavioral Targeting
[PDF]The Value of Behavioral Targeting
Behavioral Targeting Pros and Cons – Behavioral Targeting …
Open Mobile Alliance External links:
Open Mobile Alliance Ltd. – Members Only Area
Open Mobile Alliance – Specifications
Open Mobile Alliance – Gartner IT Glossary
Big data External links:
Scale-Out NAS for Unstructured & Big Data | Dell EMC US
Big Data and Advanced Analytics Solutions | Microsoft Azure
Big Data Solutions – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Hypertext Transfer Protocol External links:
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol – YouTube
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Status Code Registry
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Overview
Visible light communication External links:
Kiwink by Rtone | Visible Light Communication
Andon signal light system for visible light communication
GaN-Based Micro-LED Visible Light Communication: …
PubMed Central External links:
PubMed Tutorial – Getting the Articles – PubMed Central
[PDF]PubMed Central open access journals – USI
Need Images? Try PubMed Central | HSLS Update
Machine to machine External links:
Verizon Machine to Machine
[PDF]AT&T M2M (Machine to Machine) Communications …
Machine to Machine | Verizon Wireless
Organizational culture External links:
What is Organizational Culture? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
4 Types of Organizational Culture – ArtsFwdArtsFwd
What Is Organizational Culture? And Why Should We Care?
PlayStation 3 External links:
PS3 Games – PlayStation 3 New and Upcoming Games
GameStop: Buy PlayStation Plus 1 Year Membership, Sony Computer Entertainment, PlayStation 3, Find release dates, customer reviews, previews and screenshots.
GameStop: Buy PlayStation Move Motion Controller, Sony, PlayStation 3, Find release dates, customer reviews, previews and screenshots.
Multimedia over Coax Alliance External links:
Multimedia over Coax Alliance | Multichannel
MoCA – Multimedia over Coax Alliance – Home | Facebook
About Multimedia over Coax Alliance
Global surveillance disclosures External links:
2013 global surveillance disclosures by Chris P on Prezi
Global surveillance disclosures NSA – PixelHELPER …
Quotes About Global Surveillance Disclosures (1 quote)
Sustainable urban infrastructure External links:
Sustainable urban infrastructure: A review – ScienceDirect
Web service External links:
kumo cloud™ Mobile App and Web Service for HVAC Control
IEEE Computer Society External links:
IEEE Computer Society – Home | Facebook
IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, California. 396K likes. IEEE Computer Society, the community for technology leaders.
COMPSAC 2018 – The 42nd IEEE Computer Society …
Near field communication External links:
Near Field Communication (NFC) Printing and Scanning …
Near Field Communication (NFC) – Square
NFC World • Near field communication (NFC) news and …
Water quality External links:
Water Quality Data
Water Quality Testing and Analytical Instruments | Hach
California Integrated Water Quality System
Hacking of consumer electronics External links:
Hacking of consumer electronics – broom02.revolvy.com
broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Hacking of consumer electronics
Hacking of consumer electronics – WOW.com
Instant messaging External links:
ICE Instant Messaging
CME Pivot Instant Messaging Platform
Business Instant Messaging Software | LivePerson
IP address External links:
ARIN WHOIS IP Address Database Search – iTools
My IP Address Information – What Is My IP Address?
Software libraries External links:
eCabinet Systems Software Libraries
MPLAB® Mindi™ Software Libraries – Microchip Technology
Statistical model External links:
[PDF]Statistical Model Executive Summary
Federal Communications Commission External links:
Federal Communications Commission – AllGov
Federal Communications Commission | The United …
[PDF]FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION …
Fog computing External links:
What Is Fog Computing? Webopedia Definition
Fog Computing: a New IoT Architecture? – RTInsights
Electronic Product Code External links:
EPC Electronic Product Code – YouTube
Electronic Product Code – EPC – RFID Journal
[PDF]Electronic Product Code Network Synchronisation …