What is involved in IBM i System Administration
Find out what the related areas are that IBM i System Administration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IBM i System Administration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IBM i System Administration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IBM i System Administration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IBM i System Administration related domains to cover and 126 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IBM i System Administration , Apache web server, Auxiliary storage pool, Closed source, DOS/360 and successors, General availability release, IBM 4680 OS, IBM 4690 OS, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM AIX, IBM Academic Operating System, IBM Airline Control Program, IBM DB2, IBM DPPX, IBM PC DOS, IBM Power Systems, IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program, IBM System/36, IBM System/38, IBM System i, IBM Workplace OS, Linux on z Systems, Logical partition, Microsoft Windows, MySQL AB, OS/360 and successors, Operating system, Project Monterey, Project Trillian, Proprietary software, Single-level store, Software developer, Software license, Software release life cycle, Transaction Processing Facility, Virtual machine, WebSphere Application Server, Web application framework, Zend Technologies:
IBM i System Administration Critical Criteria:
Examine IBM i System Administration goals and explain and analyze the challenges of IBM i System Administration .
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IBM i System Administration process?
– What is our formula for success in IBM i System Administration ?
– Are there recognized IBM i System Administration problems?
Apache web server Critical Criteria:
Derive from Apache web server leadership and spearhead techniques for implementing Apache web server.
– What are the disruptive IBM i System Administration technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IBM i System Administration activities?
– How do we keep improving IBM i System Administration ?
Auxiliary storage pool Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Auxiliary storage pool outcomes and question.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations IBM i System Administration values?
– Can we do IBM i System Administration without complex (expensive) analysis?
Closed source Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Closed source failures and look at it backwards.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a IBM i System Administration study?
– Do we have past IBM i System Administration Successes?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Gauge DOS/360 and successors goals and attract DOS/360 and successors skills.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IBM i System Administration ?
– Do IBM i System Administration rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How is the value delivered by IBM i System Administration being measured?
General availability release Critical Criteria:
Meet over General availability release leadership and get answers.
– What are our needs in relation to IBM i System Administration skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IBM i System Administration forward?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the IBM i System Administration requirements in detail?
IBM 4680 OS Critical Criteria:
Track IBM 4680 OS engagements and point out improvements in IBM 4680 OS.
– How can you negotiate IBM i System Administration successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we ensure that implementations of IBM i System Administration products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IBM i System Administration agendas for the next 3 years?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Add value to IBM 4690 OS failures and correct IBM 4690 OS management by competencies.
– When a IBM i System Administration manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How do we Identify specific IBM i System Administration investment and emerging trends?
– Why should we adopt a IBM i System Administration framework?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Drive IBM 7090/94 IBSYS outcomes and drive action.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration, Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new IBM i System Administration in a volatile global economy?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for IBM i System Administration strengthening and reform actually originate?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Transcribe IBM 8100 DPCX risks and ask questions.
– Does IBM i System Administration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Do we all define IBM i System Administration in the same way?
– Are we Assessing IBM i System Administration and Risk?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Focus on IBM AIX goals and summarize a clear IBM AIX focus.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this IBM i System Administration process?
– What vendors make products that address the IBM i System Administration needs?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Trace IBM Academic Operating System failures and oversee IBM Academic Operating System requirements.
– Is there a IBM i System Administration Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the short and long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
IBM Airline Control Program Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in IBM Airline Control Program visions and learn.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IBM i System Administration ?
– How to deal with IBM i System Administration Changes?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Consider IBM DB2 governance and point out improvements in IBM DB2.
– Will IBM i System Administration deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Does our organization need more IBM i System Administration education?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Categorize IBM DPPX planning and perfect IBM DPPX conflict management.
– Does IBM i System Administration analysis show the relationships among important IBM i System Administration factors?
– Is IBM i System Administration Required?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Deliberate IBM PC DOS results and plan concise IBM PC DOS education.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic IBM i System Administration objectives?
– What business benefits will IBM i System Administration goals deliver if achieved?
– Why is IBM i System Administration important for you now?
IBM Power Systems Critical Criteria:
Generalize IBM Power Systems management and raise human resource and employment practices for IBM Power Systems.
– Does IBM i System Administration analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the usability implications of IBM i System Administration actions?
– What are current IBM i System Administration Paradigms?
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program Critical Criteria:
Disseminate IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program tactics and summarize a clear IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program focus.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IBM i System Administration objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether IBM i System Administration goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How likely is the current IBM i System Administration plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
IBM System/36 Critical Criteria:
Judge IBM System/36 quality and get going.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IBM i System Administration strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Will IBM i System Administration have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
IBM System/38 Critical Criteria:
Guide IBM System/38 adoptions and give examples utilizing a core of simple IBM System/38 skills.
– Do those selected for the IBM i System Administration team have a good general understanding of what IBM i System Administration is all about?
– What is the purpose of IBM i System Administration in relation to the mission?
IBM System i Critical Criteria:
Apply IBM System i decisions and catalog IBM System i activities.
– Does IBM i System Administration include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its IBM i System Administration processes?
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect IBM Workplace OS projects and innovate what needs to be done with IBM Workplace OS.
– Consider your own IBM i System Administration project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Is Supporting IBM i System Administration documentation required?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Linux on z Systems quality and probe Linux on z Systems strategic alliances.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which IBM i System Administration models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing IBM i System Administration ? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed IBM i System Administration opportunities costing us money?
Logical partition Critical Criteria:
Explore Logical partition tactics and shift your focus.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IBM i System Administration into the services that we provide?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Microsoft Windows strategies and point out Microsoft Windows tensions in leadership.
– Does IBM i System Administration appropriately measure and monitor risk?
MySQL AB Critical Criteria:
Consider MySQL AB outcomes and remodel and develop an effective MySQL AB strategy.
– How can you measure IBM i System Administration in a systematic way?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Drive OS/360 and successors management and correct better engagement with OS/360 and successors results.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a IBM i System Administration process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the IBM i System Administration process available?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Grasp Operating system results and create a map for yourself.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– What are our best practices for minimizing IBM i System Administration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the IBM i System Administration project lifecycle?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– In what ways are IBM i System Administration vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What about IBM i System Administration Analysis of results?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Confer re Project Monterey visions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Project Monterey projects.
– What is Effective IBM i System Administration ?
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Face Project Trillian adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Project Trillian.
– How to Secure IBM i System Administration ?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Discourse Proprietary software results and look for lots of ideas.
– What are the key elements of your IBM i System Administration performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a IBM i System Administration project?
– Is a IBM i System Administration Team Work effort in place?
Single-level store Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Single-level store issues and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Single-level store.
– How do we know that any IBM i System Administration analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are the long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Reason over Software developer leadership and arbitrate Software developer techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– Do we monitor the IBM i System Administration decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Who sets the IBM i System Administration standards?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Devise Software license decisions and grade techniques for implementing Software license controls.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Is maximizing IBM i System Administration protection the same as minimizing IBM i System Administration loss?
– Is IBM i System Administration Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Track Software release life cycle planning and devote time assessing Software release life cycle and its risk.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in IBM i System Administration ?
– What are specific IBM i System Administration Rules to follow?
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Transaction Processing Facility outcomes and balance specific methods for improving Transaction Processing Facility results.
– For your IBM i System Administration project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– In a project to restructure IBM i System Administration outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Does the IBM i System Administration task fit the clients priorities?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Coach on Virtual machine tasks and correct Virtual machine management by competencies.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (vm) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the aws cloud cannot provide?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– What potential environmental factors impact the IBM i System Administration effort?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
WebSphere Application Server Critical Criteria:
Examine WebSphere Application Server planning and get answers.
– How do we maintain IBM i System Administration s Integrity?
– Are there IBM i System Administration Models?
Web application framework Critical Criteria:
Study Web application framework tasks and remodel and develop an effective Web application framework strategy.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IBM i System Administration process?
Zend Technologies Critical Criteria:
Infer Zend Technologies decisions and shift your focus.
– Which customers cant participate in our IBM i System Administration domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How will you know that the IBM i System Administration project has been successful?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IBM i System Administration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM i System Administration External links:
IBM i System Administration Eğitimi – Bilginç IT Academy
IBM i System Administration Training – Bilginç IT Academy
IBM i System Administration – OL19G – Avnet Academy
Apache web server External links:
Linux Home Server HOWTO – Apache Web Server
Apache Web Server – Gartner
Learning Apache Web Server Administration | Udemy
Auxiliary storage pool External links:
*ASP — Auxiliary storage pool
ASP (Auxiliary Storage Pool) / SQL problem. – AS/400
IASP means Independent Auxiliary Storage Pool – All Acronyms
Closed source External links:
Closed source for Kids – Kiddle
DOS/360 and successors External links:
General availability release External links:
sipXcom General Availability Release 17.08
IBM 4680 OS External links:
IBM 4690 OS External links:
Open Object Rexx / Patches / #93 Support IBM 4690 OS FTP
Getting started programming on IBM 4690 OS – Stack Overflow
IBM 4690 OS – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/IBM 4690 OS&item_type=topic
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS images, pictures, videos & interesting facts
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS | IT History Society
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM AIX External links:
IBM AIX OS levels supported by XL Compilers – United States
IBM AIX commands you should not leave home without
IBM Aix Server | eBay
IBM Academic Operating System External links:
IBM Academic Operating System – Dictionary
dictionary.sensagent.com/ibm academic operating system/en-en
Скачать pdf – IBM Academic Operating System – …Translate this page
IBM Academic Operating System – Rediff Pages
IBM Airline Control Program External links:
Ibm Airline Control Program – TheInfoList.com
theinfolist.com/php/HTMLGet.php?FindGo=Ibm Airline Control Program
IBM Airline Control Program – Sensagent.com
dictionary.sensagent.com/ibm airline control program/en-en
IBM DB2 External links:
IBM DB2 12 for z/OS Technical Overview
IBM DB2 on Azure – platformmodernization.org
IBM DB2 Tools Product Documentation – United States
IBM PC DOS External links:
Ibm Pc Dos And Microsoft Windows Users Guide
Programming In Ibm Pc Dos Pascal – cizhuan.store
IBM PC DOS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM Power Systems External links:
Hortonworks Data Platform on IBM Power Systems
Job Information: IBM Power Systems Analyst (AS400) Job
IBM Power Systems – IBM BP Network
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program External links:
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program
IBM System/36 External links:
IBM System/36 Environment and Printing – United States
IBM System/36 Facts Folder – Typewritten Software
IBM System/36 – Revolvy
IBM System/38 External links:
IBM System/38 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
ibm system/38 | eBay
www.ebay.ca › Search › ibm system/38
The IBM System/38 – Capability-Based Computer Systems – 8
IBM System i External links:
IBM System i – Topic – YouTube
371617.pdf | Ibm System I | Ibm Db2
IBM System i Security: Protecting i5/OS Data with Encryption
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS – broom03.revolvy.com
broom03.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Workplace OS&item_type=topic
IBM Workplace OS – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Workplace OS
Linux on z Systems External links:
LinuxONE and Linux on z Systems Open-source Team · GitHub
IBM XL C/C++ for Linux on z Systems 1.2 – United States
IBM developerWorks : Linux : Linux on z Systems
Logical partition External links:
Logical Partition – Remo Software
How to Convert Logical Partition to Primary Partition
Microsoft Windows External links:
Microsoft Windows Software – PC Case Gear
Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide – Running Programs
Microsoft Windows 10 vs. Apple Mac OS X El Capitan – TIME
MySQL AB External links:
[PDF] MySQL Language Reference MySQL AB For Kindle
Allan Larsson, Co-Founder at MySQL AB – Relationship Science
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – research.omicsgroup.org
OS/360 and successors – Sussle
Operating system External links:
Operating System | Computer Alliance
Octopi | Modern Terminal Operating System (TOS)
Project Trillian External links:
Project Trillian – Revolvy
Project Trillian – topics.revolvy.com
Proprietary software External links:
License | License | Proprietary Software
What is Proprietary Software? – Definition from Techopedia
Proprietary Software in Australia | Hotfrog Australia
Single-level store External links:
Design Evolution of the EROS Single-Level Store
Design Evolution of the EROS Single-Level Store | GNUnet
Software developer External links:
Devpost | Software developer jobs, internships, and hackathons
Software Developer Salary (Australia) – PayScale
Information for Software Developers | Software Developer Site
Software license External links:
Software License | OP5
Autodesk Software License Review Portal :: How It Works
Microsoft Software License Terms
Software release life cycle External links:
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
EULA.txt | Software | Software Release Life Cycle
Documentation UK | Photograph | Software Release Life Cycle
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
VDict – Definition of Transaction Processing Facility
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
Virtual machine External links:
How can I adjust the Windows Virtual Machine screen size?
Install Hyper-V and create a virtual machine
Run Windows on Mac | Virtual Machine for Mac – VMWare
WebSphere Application Server External links:
WebSphere Application Server V6.1: JMS Problem Determination
AWS Marketplace: IBM WebSphere Application Server
WebSphere Application Server Overview – IBM
Web application framework External links:
ngBoltJS – Web Application Framework
Welcome to the Valence Web Application Framework