What is involved in Quality Engineering
Find out what the related areas are that Quality Engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Quality Engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Quality Engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Quality Engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Quality Engineering related domains to cover and 160 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Quality Engineering, Agile software development, Engineering management, Enterprise architecture, INFORMS, IT service management, Information security management, Institute of Industrial Engineers, Knowledge management, Manufacturing engineering, Quality assurance, Quality objectives, RACI matrix, Requirements analysis, Software development process, Software engineering, Software product management, Software quality, Software quality management, Software testing, Systems Engineering:
Quality Engineering Critical Criteria:
Value Quality Engineering outcomes and get answers.
– What are the key elements of your Quality Engineering performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– In what ways are Quality Engineering vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Quality Engineering processes?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Audit Agile software development leadership and finalize specific methods for Agile software development acceptance.
– As corporate ventures usually go to new business areas and work with new technologies, they are most likely unable to utilize existing commercial or parent corporations in-house development methods. Could Agile Manifesto and agile methods be a good starting point for the corporate venture to start their development effort towards their own, efficient agile in-house software development method?
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– The fundamentals of agile software development, agile project management, and evolutionary development have been proven and demonstrated to be highly successful. Are these now preferred in our organization?
– Is our organization clear about the relationship between agile software development and DevOps?
– How good are the designers and programmers in the development team?
– What technologies are available to support system development?
– Will the broader project community be populated appropriately?
– How could principles be more precisely measured or valued?
– From Waterfall to Agile How does a QA Team Transition?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– So what do your developers do differently in agile?
– What challenges do teams face when scaling agile?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– Does your team use Agile Methodology?
– Heritage of traditional methods?
– When using Extreme Programming?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
– How much modeling to do?
Engineering management Critical Criteria:
X-ray Engineering management management and point out Engineering management tensions in leadership.
– What is the plan to align prime contractors systems engineering management plan (semp) with the Program Management office (pmo) sep?
– Is maximizing Quality Engineering protection the same as minimizing Quality Engineering loss?
– Are assumptions made in Quality Engineering stated explicitly?
– What are the long-term Quality Engineering goals?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Enterprise architecture adoptions and do something to it.
– Does Quality Engineering include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Is the Quality Engineering organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Quality Engineering effort?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
INFORMS Critical Criteria:
Contribute to INFORMS risks and summarize a clear INFORMS focus.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Quality Engineering in a volatile global economy?
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– When a Quality Engineering manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How do we Identify specific Quality Engineering investment and emerging trends?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Check IT service management failures and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in IT service management.
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks, which is all about are we doing the right things?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a-vis your itsm initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your IT service management capabilities?
– Which statement best describes your organizations current IT service management strategy?
– What continuity plans are in place for recovering data, infrastructure and applications?
– What element of the it Service Management lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What factors influence the success of implementing it service management?
– Why would a customer be interested in a particular product or service?
– Are you managing incidents primarily through emails and phone calls?
– What do enterprises really want from IT service management ITSM?
– Why is it Service Management important to cloud providers?
– How many employees are in your company worldwide?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– What is it Service Management?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– Available enough?
– What is ITIL?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Information security management visions and gather Information security management models .
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Will Quality Engineering have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Quality Engineering activities?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Quality Engineering?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
Institute of Industrial Engineers Critical Criteria:
Study Institute of Industrial Engineers engagements and acquire concise Institute of Industrial Engineers education.
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Recall Knowledge management management and adjust implementation of Knowledge management.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Quality Engineering process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Quality Engineering process available?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Quality Engineering? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Quality Engineering project?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Manufacturing engineering Critical Criteria:
Test Manufacturing engineering goals and document what potential Manufacturing engineering megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Quality Engineering goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Does Quality Engineering analysis show the relationships among important Quality Engineering factors?
– Does Quality Engineering systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Quality assurance planning and perfect Quality assurance conflict management.
– Are there any circumstances/cases for which dissolution and/or disintegration testing may no longer be needed/provide any additional values to product Quality Assurance at release?
– What is your Quality Assurance process to ensure that the large volumes of data gathered in the monitoring process are handled efficiently?
– How does the company develop, manage, measure, and improve processes to achieve performance excellence?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Are records maintained in fireproof enclosures that are sealed to prevent moisture intrusion?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Quality Engineering project manager?
– Are Quality Assurance records stored in folders, binders, or other suitable protection?
– Are previous revisions of documents marked to indicate that they are superseded?
– How do you assure that repairs and/or preventative maintenance were completed?
– How does improper or incomplete documentation affect disciplinary actions?
– How can we integrate Customer Service into our Quality Assurance program?
– Is the performance measure improving, degrading, or remaining stable?
– How does the qa plan cover all aspects of the organization?
– Is the target achievable by the current process?
– Who is responsible for overseeing this process?
– Who provides training for any new protocol?
– How often are the protocols reviewed?
– Is specialized equipment necessary?
– Are standardized tests available?
– Quality Assurance for whom?
Quality objectives Critical Criteria:
Study Quality objectives failures and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Quality objectives projects.
– What are the disruptive Quality Engineering technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we manage Quality Engineering Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Have Data Quality objectives been met?
RACI matrix Critical Criteria:
Debate over RACI matrix management and triple focus on important concepts of RACI matrix relationship management.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Quality Engineering product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Quality Engineering agendas for the next 3 years?
– Which Quality Engineering goals are the most important?
Requirements analysis Critical Criteria:
Rank Requirements analysis strategies and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Requirements analysis.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Quality Engineering information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Do Quality Engineering rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Is Quality Engineering Required?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Software development process governance and get going.
– Think about the people you identified for your Quality Engineering project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Quality Engineering been identified and analyzed?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Infer Software engineering decisions and innovate what needs to be done with Software engineering.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What is our Quality Engineering Strategy?
Software product management Critical Criteria:
Systematize Software product management governance and assess what counts with Software product management that we are not counting.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Quality Engineering forward?
– What is our formula for success in Quality Engineering ?
– How will you measure your Quality Engineering effectiveness?
Software quality Critical Criteria:
Match Software quality visions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Software quality.
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– Do software Quality Assurance test programs undergo the same production cycle and method (except q/a) as the software they test?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Quality Engineering?
– Is at least one person engaged in software Quality Assurance for every ten engaged in its fabrication?
– The need for high-quality software is glaring. But what constitutes software quality?
– Is the scope of Quality Engineering defined?
Software quality management Critical Criteria:
Guide Software quality management goals and create Software quality management explanations for all managers.
– Is Quality Engineering Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Does Quality Engineering appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Investigate Software testing visions and perfect Software testing conflict management.
– What are all of our Quality Engineering domains and what do they do?
– Do we all define Quality Engineering in the same way?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Infer Systems Engineering engagements and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Systems Engineering results.
– If we can describe engineered systems in a way analogous to natural systems (global complexity emerging from local simplicity, for example), can we identify the parameters which obey the kind of power-law relationship we find in natural systems?
– The pp and the semp define the tasks and schedule for the project and the processes that will be followed to produce the deliverables. once the project is underway, how can you track progress against the plan?
– Regarding the way the system is formed and operates and the scale of interest; e.g., are we interested in complexity at the level of atoms or of cells or of organs?
– The complexity of our design task is significantly affected by the nature of the objectives for the systems to be designed. is the task intricate, or difficult?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Quality Engineering is underway?
– Does the deployment schedule call for installations at a typically rainy time of year?
– What is the structure of the different information aspects on the interface?
– What is the detailed set of functions and properties of a given interface?
– What will happen if there is a loss of key staff or contractor personnel?
– Does management understand principles and concepts of system engineering?
– Typical concerns on the design side: what is the required functionality?
– Is the funding for the project secure, or is only part of it in place?
– What are the expectations and limits of the given integration?
– Are the requirements mapped to one or more user needs?
– How do functions occur between parts of the system?
– What parts are connected to each other?
– What option is best?
– Right business case?
– What is a system?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Quality Engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Quality Engineering External links:
Method Statement – Quality Engineering and …
Quality Engineering Tool Software, Easy to Use | …
Agile software development External links:
Agile Software Development | App Development | Softxpert
Big Room Studios | Agile Software Development …
RoleModel Software – Custom Agile Software Development
Engineering management External links:
Master of Engineering Management (MEM) | St. Cloud …
FIU Engineering Management Programs
The Department of Engineering Management & …
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Software | EA Tools | Watch …
INFORMS External links:
Literacy Assessment Informs Instruction – NCTE
IOL Home – INFORMS
IT service management External links:
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management (ITSM) – BMC Software
Information security management External links:
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Information Security Management – Home2
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Institute of Industrial Engineers External links:
Institute of Industrial Engineers – Iowa State University
Front Page | Institute of Industrial Engineers
Knowledge management External links:
Institutional Knowledge Management
Home | Center for Knowledge Management
Lucidea | Knowledge Management Software
Manufacturing engineering External links:
Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (NDSU)
TMD Jobs : Find Automotive Manufacturing Engineering …
Quality assurance External links:
Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission :: …
Quality Assurance Portal – Beckman Coulter
TraceGains: Food Safety & Quality Assurance …
Quality objectives External links:
14 Examples of Quality Objectives – Simplicable
[PDF]3.0 Data Quality Objectives
Quality Objectives | Quality Goals | Objectives of Quality
RACI matrix External links:
[XLS]RACI Matrix: Requirements Phase – UC Santa Cruz
Requirements analysis External links:
[PDF]2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS – New York …
[DOC]Requirements Analysis Document (RAD) – …
Introduction to Requirements Analysis | About …
Software development process External links:
During which phase of the software development process …
[PDF]Evolution of Software Development Process Models
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
Software engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
GitPrime – Software Engineering Metrics for …
Software Engineering Institute
Software product management External links:
Software Product Management Training by InnoTivum
Software Product Management Meetups – Meetup
Software quality management External links:
Scrutinizer – Your platform for software quality management
How to disable Software Quality Management (SQM) …
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Test Case Management & QA Tools …
QualiTest Group – Independent Software testing …
Software Testing and Deployment | Olenick
Systems Engineering External links:
Applied Systems Engineering | GTPE
Industrial, Manufacturing and Systems Engineering
DoD Systems Engineering – Guidance & Tools